[Ford-ferguson] Washers with head bolts

J Knight drjak at verizon.net
Tue Aug 18 09:18:02 PDT 2015

Interesting question and I'd love to give you a solid answer, but I'd be
winging it.

My "thoughts" though, are that

a) if the original manufacturer didn't use washers he might have had a
reason, and

b) the washers might warp and eventually introduce an alteration in the
bolt torque recommended for the head bolts.

I've always believed that the torque recommendations (which typically
include bolt tightening patterns) interact with the integrity and life
of the gasket are to be followed to the letter, and I would thus posit
that if there weren't original equipment washers, you should not add them!

I warn you I am not a master mechanic and typically don't stay in a
Holiday Express!

Hope the discussion helps!  This really sounds like a fun project.

Joe Knight

On 8/18/2015 8:20 AM, Dr. Jim Rosen wrote:
> A friend and I are rebuilding the engine of our Ford 8N.  The head bolts
> we removed have the larger (11/16") head, and we will be reusing them.
> Is it best to not use washers under these head bolts?  And why is that?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Rosen

---