[AT] Need help troubleshooting engine/compressor

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Aug 14 20:00:41 PDT 2015

Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> I ran a compression check this evening on the Leroi.  My compression
> gauge had not been used in 20+ years.  It had some check valve
> problems.   I had a friend working the gauge and I worked the starter.
> only a couple of cylinders had 50lbs and one had nothing...  Seems funny
> for a engine that will start very easily...  Is it possible the lifters
> are pumped up with dirty oil and will not leak down??  I should have
> changed the oil and filter before I tried to start it.  I did ntohave a
> lot of faith that it would start when I tried it first, but was fooled...
>
> I am trying to determine if it is worth putting lifters in it, or just
> pull it out and find a running engine.  Maybe one with fuel injection..
> Eliminate a carburetor problem and it could use cheaper gas...
>
> I don't mean to whine, but this has been the year for one breakdown
> after another. .  It must be this wet weather...
>
> Cecil in OKla

Toss some trans fluid in the bores, rings could be sticky if it's been
setting long. Neighbors power unit sat over the winter and the rings
stuck in the grooves. Pulled the plugs and dumped in some trans fluid
and had him turn it over 2-3 times a day. 3rd day it had good
compression again.

--
Steve W.