[AT] Need help troubleshooting engine/compressor

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Aug 11 04:09:57 PDT 2015

Sullair 185 w/ ford/Mazda 4cyl gas engine.  Compressor always has been
cold natured.  Had to be completely warmed up before choke could be shut
off.  Open air line valve and engine would die without choke on at least
half way.  Working fine a month ago.   Now, Engine tries to start and
gets up to idle speed but compressor is loading engine and it cannot get
up to operating speed.  If compressor could be disconnected from engine,
it would get up to operating speed. Have replaced fuel pump, and plug
wires.  Spark plug had some surface carbon but not really gunked up.
took air intake elbow off of compressor and tried to cut off air intake
to allow engine to start, but it nearly sucked my hand into the pipe.
In the past distributor,ignition control box, and coil have been
replaced.  Have worked on engines gas, propane and diesel for 50 years
and this one has me beat......  This is the reason I like Diesel!!!

I use this for sandblasting and blowing off the round baler.  Right now,
the baler has some hay lodged between the belts and the rollers on the
back side and it has the baler bound up.  The only way to get this out
is to use a lot of high pressure air and cut the hay out with the air.
Or, cut the belts pull them out with the loader and re-splice.  I did
not blow off the baler last time i used it, it was trying to rain after
I put the new bearing in that was causing the fires.  The hay builds up
in the back above the top of the bale chamber, and causes the belts to
stick.  Really dry hay is the worst problem...

---