[AT] Test

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Aug 9 09:29:56 PDT 2015

That's why, as stated below, "the correct thing is to use the full length of
the open lanes and don't merge until necessary."   100 cars only rush by
when there's an open lane for them to be in.  If more people waited until
the end of the open lane to merge, there'd be less opportunity for anyone
else to zip past and less potential for traffic in the two lanes to be
moving at dangerously different speeds.

I therefore try to use as much of the open lane as I can, but only at a very
reasonable speed.   But there's no perfect answer.  People who are crawling
along in the slow lane get upset at those who pass them in the still-open
lane rather than "waiting their turn like the rest of us," and then will
sometimes be very aggressive about NOT letting people merge.  Angry and
aggressive driving, like dramatically different speeds in adjacent lanes, is
inherently dangerous.   Not that I'm above getting angry myself.  Probably a
good thing that none of my cars has ever been equipped with the .50-cal
machines guns that I've occasionally wished for.

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio