[AT] More Ford Jubilee Adventures

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Aug 9 03:52:27 PDT 2015

I went through the same thing with a fence charger 2 weeks ago.  Worked
all afternoon in 105 heat index to get wire up around yard to keep pet
bull in.  Had a good charger in a tool box next to the other elect
service at the South Barn.  It would barely spark.  Dug out the brand
new Zareba charger from TSC that had never been used, it had no spark.
Took the Harbor Freight solar one off the back fence and it was shot.
Took the Parmak solar fencer off the divider fence for the horses and it
worked!!!

I certainly hope the pertronix system fixes your problem...Condensers
are being made in China or some other 3rd world country, so quality is a
problem...

Cecil in OKla

n 8/8/2015 6:47 PM, Mogrits wrote:
> So this just gets sillier.
>
> I installed the brand new looking solenoid on the tractor as mentioned in
> another thread and got not even a click. I tested it and the starter switch
> and it turns out I had a bad "new" solenoid saved for all these years.
>
> I go to get the ATV to pull the tractor backwards a few feet in high gear
> to free the starter, assuming it is stuck. Of course the ATV battery is
> dead and whatnot but that's a different story. I find a lot of rope and
> simply pull the tractor with my truck. (Bush-hog is hitched at the time).
>
> Try the starter again and nothing from the solenoid so I track one down at
> O Reilly's and install and it works and the tractor spins but there is NO
> SPARK.
>
> I reset/recheck the new points gap and test all my wiring connections with
> my flukemeter. Still no spark. I go get the MGB condenser again and install
> it and lo and behold it fires again.
>
> So, I got a bad condenser from NAPA of all places. The parts house I
> normally depend on.
>
> I said screw it and ordered a Pertronix 1244A ignition system and their
> 40,000 volt coil. Life is too short for this cheap parts rodeo.
>
> Warren
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Mogrits <mogrits at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So I put a new correct condenser in the Jubilee and gapped new points to
>> .025. Hit the starter button and the starter side terminal of the solenoid
>> threw sparks. I figure this is one of several things: The starter is in a
>> dead spot or stuck engaged and I'll have to roll the tractor a bit in gear
>> to free it; the starter is bad;  the wires have corroded connections
>> (likely) and I need to clean them; or, my solenoid crapped out by
>> coincidence. Whatever the cause it got too dark to fool with it and I'll
>> have to get back to it later this week.I have a solenoid on hand from the
>> last time the starter got stuck and I thought the solenoid had quit. It
>> clicks when it sparks so I think it's doing it's part.
>>
>> Warren
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM, charlie hill <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's probably a timing issue.  I've only installed one Petronix and that
>>> was on a 5 hp B&S but when I put it back together it wouldn't hit a lick.
>>> I did everything I could think of and finally went and talked to a B&S
>>> dealer friend of mine.  He called his tech rep.  The guy immediately told
>>> me I didn't have the flywheel nut tight enough and it was throwing the
>>> timing
>>> off.  I told him it was as tight as I knew how to get it.  He told me to
>>> put