[AT] OT-now GPS

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:11:41 PDT 2015

I pretty much stayed with the seat of my pants on this smallish operation
but in later years I was paying a very good local custom applicator for
fertilizer application and spraying both. I think it was about $4 an acre.
He used a lot of very expensive monitors and GPS stuff. I could pay him for
a lot of years on this small farm for what I would have had to spend if I
bought any of that stuff just for me. Those expenses stopped there at the
$4. I had no equipment or fuel cost and jobs that I would have spent 2 days
doing he did in about an hour.
One thing that I did when I was doing my own was to keep track of which
direction I drove each year and spread fertilizer at 90 degrees different
each time. I had decided that I was getting bands of heavier application
and thin stripes by driving the same each year. Switching the direction of
travel 90 degrees each year took that out.
I learned a very long time ago to have a salt shaker handy when other guys
(especially some of the big guys) were telling me how much money or time
something was saving them so that I could take it with a grain of salt...
:-)
I had several other reasons to hire that work done. Not the least of which
was that I was always working at other things myself, many of which payed
me better than the $4 an acre I was paying for custom application.
Another big reason was that I suddenly noticed that an excessive number of
the farmers that I grew up around had died of cancer. Many were
unbelievably careless in handling farm chemicals. One custom applicator and
I were talking about it one day and he said that he had recently had a
number of polyps removed from inside of his nose. While we were talking he
was pouring some 2-4-D concentrate into the tank and it was running across
his hand and down to his elbow and he just ignored it completely. One time
when I was working in seed corn research for Garst Seeds we were planting a
4 acre research plot in southwestern Indiana and the farm owner and his
grown son were getting ready to plant soybeans. The son had been disking
all morning and spraying Trefflan (sp?) at the same time. The son was
heavily covered from head to toe with the stuff and was as yellow as a fire
hydrant... No eye-wear, no respirator... Nothing...  (shudder)
I just decided that I wanted to remove that exposure from my lifestyle.

Greg, You know where I live in Central Indiana, I could probably find your
son a rock pretty quickly here.
:-)
The great glacier belched about 6 miles south of me and they have a lot of
rocks there. There is also a place about 15 miles west of me (called "Rock
Lane") where it burped pretty good. The funny thing is those folks fought
those things forever and made big piles of them but in recent years they
have sold many of them and even have a minor problem with people stopping
and stealing some of them for their yards.
Brown County Indiana about 40 miles south-west of me is glacial terminal
moraine and pretty rough (and pretty) but here, I am still on the edge of
the prairie and we are mostly flat...