[AT] OT-now GPS

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 8 06:48:51 PDT 2015

On 4/8/2015 5:05 AM, Henry Miller wrote:
> The laws of physics prevent the satellite only systems from getting more accurate than about 16 feet. You know how on a hot day things sometimes get wavy off in the distance? Same thing happens to satellite signals, and the satellite is much farther away than those hazy things.
>
>   Throw in something on the ground and you can get much closer.
>
> Disclaimer, I work for John Deere on the 4600 displays. I'm not speaking for them though.

16 feet? I would have to question that law. I use my trimble ezee guide
running off the free satellites for seeding crops every spring now. It
is a 28 foot wide seeder and I can easily check the accuracy just by
looking over my shoulder at the ground , then glancing at the screen.
Seems like they match up the lines pretty well. The only misses I see in
the field are where I fall asleep and wander off the line :-)
I even use it as an acreage counter since the mechanical counter quit on
the air seeder unit. I find it to be quite accurate. Maybe not the sub
inch accuracy of the rtk systems but plenty good enough for me.

Ralph in Sask.