[AT] Tire slipping on rim

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Apr 2 20:51:51 PDT 2015

Dave:
As I think they will tell me to go pee up a wet rope, but in a nice way,
I decided to give them a piece of my mind by email.  I have a problem
with talking over the phone with anyone who has an accent other than my
own.  I have difficulty understanding the words.  It is a combination of
getting old, sleeping for the last 20 years with a CPAP pressurizing my
eardrums, and spending 200 hours each summer on a MF 50 3 cyl diesel
tractor.  I loved the tractor, but my ears rung until I went to bed
every night, now that I am 61 yrs old, they ring constantly.  I have
become used to it , it keeps the voices from bothering me.!! ( the ones
that are telling me where auction sales are! )
  If you ever have the opportunity to discuss a problem with someone
from India, they will tell you what you want to hear just to avoid
confrontation.  Their motto at the end of the email is in my estimation
a line of B.S.   If they offer any kind of assistance, it will certainly
amaze me.
On the other hand, when I talked to the Firestone engineer, he offered a
solution, and said this had happened in the 80's when tires were getting
more torque loads.  I also mentioned welding on the bead surface, and he
advised against it as it would ruin the temper in the rim and then the
bead  might bend when loaded. Something I had not thought of.  In the
future, if I can find the money, I will probably use Firestone USA made
tires, or Akuret, the Russian ones.  Both are heavier, and the Russian
tires are really beefier (especially at the bead) than the Firestone.
These Speedway tires seemed a little thin at the bead.  I also used bead
lubricant, whick I had not used on tractor tires in all the years I
mounted them.   I don't believe these rims would work as tubeless and
hold methanol as When one set outside for a few months, it rusted
through in one small spot about 1/4 in dia.  I repaired that, and
smoothed it over.    If I was to use it tubeless and loaded, I would
epoxy coat the rim.  However, I had some help available at the time I
mounted the tires, and did not want to wait a week for epoxy paint to
dry.  That help does not come around any more, it seems he always has
something pressing to do.   If you do not know how to make the tire
weight work for you when mounting, you will work yourself to death.  The
only way an old Fart with a broken back like myself can do it is to let
the weight of the tire do the work, and use the loader whenever
possible.  I still can mount one by myself in an hour.   Just FYI
Firestone says that if you keep the top of the rim covered in the
ballast liquid when running tubeless, the rim will not rust. However,
when you expost that rim to the air, it will start rusting as did mine.

I ramble

Cecil in OKla