[AT] lawn tractor

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:25:25 PDT 2014

Steve, If I'm reading Richard's message correctly the engine never shuts
off, it just
stumbles for a while then runs ok for a while then stumbles for a while.
That would not be a coil problem in my opinion.

I'm thinking it's stumbling because it's starving for fuel which is causing
the governor
to kick in, the carb butterfly to open which decreases intake manifold
vacuum.  I don't know
what kind of carb but I assume there is a vacuum connection of some sort to
the fuel system.
Most small engines use vacuum to pump fuel if the system is NOT gravity
flow.
It sounds to me like trash or water in the fuel, possibly trash floating in
the tank or possibly
a very minute amount of water in the bottom of the carb.  I've had this
exact experience
many times on my Allis tractors.  It's always either water or trash in the
carb or trash
restricting fuel flow from the tank.  Also if the carb fuel bowl is filling
up, the needle valve
is closing it off (maybe partially) and then not re-opening as it should it
would run a while and
then start to run out of fuel.

The first time I ran into this on one of my AC tractors I replaced coil,
condenser, points, plugs,
and rotor button over a period of a few days. Nothing helped.  Then I
rebuilt the carb, cleaned
the fuel line and tank (as well as I could).  It still happened.  I got a
friend of mine who is an
ace mechanic to listen to it.  He immediately said "water in your carb".  I
told him I had just
carefully rebuilt it.  He said: "water in your carb".  Sure enough he was
right.  I never saw the
water but when I took the carb back apart, cleaned it carefully, baked it
dry and put it back together
and back on the tractor the problem was gone.

Charlie