[Farmall] Farmall H Question

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Mon Sep 29 04:07:15 PDT 2014

Just to bring everybody up to date on my issue. I tracked the problem down
to a broken wire in the electrical system. I figured it had to be
something electrical so I started by checking the points, condenser, and
the coil. Pulled out the old engine analyzer and everything checked out.
Figured I'd check to see if I was getting voltage were it needed to be.
Started to check for voltage at the coil. When I didn't find 12V at the
coil, I disconnected the wire at the kill switch and connected it to the
battery terminal side of the starter switch with a jumper wire made of a
couple of alligator clips. Got 12V at the coil, hit the starter switch,
and it started right up. Ran all day with the jumper wire in place and
didn't have any issues.  When I was done I just removed the jumper wire.
Had to work some other jobs during the week and didn't get around to
looking for the problem until yesterday.

Started by checking for voltage at every connection point along the entire
12V circuit.  Checked for voltage, disconnected the wires and cleaned them
up even if I found 12V, reconnected and checked again. When I got to the
kill switch, I lost it. Disconnected the hot wire from the kill switch and
started to clean the terminal. That's when the lug essentially came off in
my hand. Crimped on a new lug, reconnected the wire and found 12V.
Reconnected the wire from the coil to the other side of the kill switch,
and had 12V at the coil.

Didn't bother to start the engine since I'm sure I've fixed the problem.
Will be cutting grass this weekend, weather permitting, so I'll know for
sure. But I'm pretty confident I've got it fixed.

Thanks to everybody that responded to the original e-mail. Lots of helpful
suggestions, a few I'd forgotten about.

Carl Szabelski

The Borg Are Wrong, Resistance Is Not Futile ..... It's Voltage / Current