[Farmall] Farmall Digest, Vol 119, Issue 2

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Tue Sep 2 11:25:58 PDT 2014

Carl,
	I don't have experience with an H but a fuel restriction at the tank
outlet or in the line or a restricted vent cap can cause an engine to
act like that. I would check for good fuel flow before I tore into the
governor. I think the idle adjustment is on the carb so at best a
governor problem shouldn't cause the engine to quit.
	Also, if the H has battery ignition, check very carefully for a broken
wire inside the distributor between the points and the side terminal.

Rupert

>     3. Farmall H Question (szabelsk at gdls.com)
>

> Looking for some input to an issue regarding my H.
>
> Lately the tractor has been dying after running for a while. Sometimes it
> runs for hours, and sometimes just a few minutes. Checked the fuel, and
> spark, both seem to be OK. Took the carb off and verified that the float
> wasn't sticking. Had spark at the distributor.
>
> I've cranked it to the point that it became flooded and nothing. Let it
> sit for a few hours and I can get it started. Saturday it started up and
> just about the time I was going to put it in gear, it idled way down to
> the point where I thought it would stall, and them came back up, and then
> it idled down again. This went on for a few minutes. It was if the
> governor was having issues with maintaining proper rpm and was just
> hunting up and down.
>
> Before I go and tear into the governor, does anybody have any thoughts on
> what else I might want to look at. I know that the condenser can cause
> thing like the engine to quit after running a while, but would it cause
> the governor to hunt up and down? The coil, points, and condenser are only
> about a year old. I know that doesn't mean that they aren't bad, but don't
> ant to go and replace them if there's something else I can check before
> doing so.
>

> Carl Szabelski

> End of Farmall Digest, Vol 119, Issue 2

yvt