[Farmall] Farmall H Question

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Sep 2 08:51:41 PDT 2014

Looking for some input to an issue regarding my H.

Lately the tractor has been dying after running for a while. Sometimes it
runs for hours, and sometimes just a few minutes. Checked the fuel, and
spark, both seem to be OK. Took the carb off and verified that the float
wasn't sticking. Had spark at the distributor.

I've cranked it to the point that it became flooded and nothing. Let it
sit for a few hours and I can get it started. Saturday it started up and
just about the time I was going to put it in gear, it idled way down to
the point where I thought it would stall, and them came back up, and then
it idled down again. This went on for a few minutes. It was if the
governor was having issues with maintaining proper rpm and was just
hunting up and down.

Before I go and tear into the governor, does anybody have any thoughts on
what else I might want to look at. I know that the condenser can cause
thing like the engine to quit after running a while, but would it cause
the governor to hunt up and down? The coil, points, and condenser are only
about a year old. I know that doesn't mean that they aren't bad, but don't
ant to go and replace them if there's something else I can check before
doing so.

Carl Szabelski