[AT] Osage vs. Firestone

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Oct 28 17:49:41 PDT 2014

Those *@#&! osage orange trees... much as I can't help but admire their
durability and defense mechanisms, I'd just as soon have fewer of them to
deal with.   At some point in the five weeks since I put new front tires on
the JD 620, two tiny thorns managed to puncture one of them and leave me
with a slow leak.   I couldn't even see them until I took the wheel off the
tractor and studied it up close, and even then couldn't find anything that
looked like a leak until I dunked the whole thing in water.   Guess I should
be grateful for the many that apparently didn't make it through to the
innertube but still left tiny little splinters in the new tire.

It'll be many years, if ever, before I have the little osage trees beaten
back to where I won't be mowing around/over them anymore.   Anyone have any
recommendations for/against something like Slime or Gempler's Ultraseal?
Does that stuff work with tubed tires?

Thanks very much--

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio