[AT] Osage vs. Firestone

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Oct 28 18:47:37 PDT 2014

Dean,

I'll add a little humor to this. Have you considered going to steel wheels on your tractors?   Is
there no way to police around the trees manually somehow prior to tractor traffic?  Or is there just
too many?   I have no experience with Slime or that kind of sealant and I don't know if that works on
tubed types. I would think it would slow down the instances of slow leaking tires.   I have this issue
with my Garden Tractor tires and get leaks due to Black Berry bush thorns.  I've cleaned out most of
the black berry bushes and at times I think I have gotten them all until one comes along and bites me
in the butt.  However, it hasn't happened often enough to cause me to resort to the slime routine.
I've become an expert at removing and re-installing the little front tires(16x7.50-8) on my Garden
tractor. Which are a real PITA. The smaller the tire the harder they are to work with. I've not had
the same problem with my rear tires on the Garden Tractor. And I have come up with no other
explanation other than they are larger/wider tires. Must have a thicker carcass or more plys or
something. The tread isn't any deeper in fact I've put new fronts on and still using the original
rears.  I would think higher # of ply/steel ply tires would be more resistant to the thorn issue. That
may be the real solution.  How many ply tires do you have on the fronts?

On a slow speed tire I guess something like slime might work but have no experience. I would worry
about it on a high speed road vehicle tire relative to balance issues.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave
unsaid  the wrong thing at the tempting moment.