[AT] Silo roofs

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Oct 27 16:36:34 PDT 2014

> Very common around here to see old concrete silos with no roofs,
> such as the 1950-vintage silo on my farm:
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/farm_and_goat_20141025.jpg

Thanks very much for the responses, gentlemen.   I hadn't realized silos
didn't always have roofs...seems like the big majority did in my area
(northeast Ohio) when I was growing up but it may just have been my
assumption back then too.   I do remember the sweet smell, almost like
molasses, of silage while feeding the dairy cows on my employer's farm when
I was a teenager.

And yes, the goat in my photo is a Boer, bred for meat.   She and a couple
dozen others belong to the fellow who leases the pasture and some barns from
me.  I enjoy seeing them out there and am just as glad somebody else is
handling all the associated chores.  :)

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio