[AT] Silo roofs

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 17:31:14 PDT 2014

On my Grandfathers farm corn silage used no roof and he actually wanted the water to rain in.  He told me the fermented silage helped the milk, not sure if he meant production or fat content.  I still remember the unique smell of the last of the feed.
Haylage, as he termed hay silage, I don't remember much about.  He did put some up but I don't even know if it was every year or what.  He had 3 small old silos, one ceramic block and the other 2 concrete block & hoop and I remember only 2 had roofs.  When he built the standing barm and actual dairy parlor he put in 2 new poured concrete 60ft silos with no roofs and the tripods were for the self unloaders.  Feeding required flipping a couple of switches, all powered all the way through the feed bunks.  Living high in the early 60's.
David

Sent from my iPad