[AT] Tractor tire liquid

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:13:18 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net>
wrote:

> My question is 2 part.   Would the use of mounting lube cause a loose
> tire on the rim and it possibly slip and pull the valve out??

Almost anything is possible, but probable is another story, with a ton of
variables affecting it.  I've seen low-pressure applications where the tire
is mechanically locked to the rim to prevent slippage:  This included
mechanical clamping (aka "rim locks") on a form of competition motorcycle
known as a trials bike, where very low pressures are employed for high
traction; and it includes dragsters where I've seen sheetmetal screws
driven into the bead area.

>    Would
> the use of Methanol be deteriorating the rubber in the tube. and causing
> the problem.

I do not believe so.  I understand that innertubes are made almost
universally from butyl rubber, because it has very low air permeability and
various other properties that have been proven over time.  I greatly doubt
different tube brands would be using fundamentally different materials...
pretty safe to assume they're all butyl.  And according to extensive fluid
compatibility tables (which you find published in the O-ring world)
methanol gets along great with butyl.

SO