[Farmall] FARMALL H BATTERY DISCONNECT

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 9 09:13:47 PDT 2014

Actually, a good battery will self discharge, but it takes many months.
It has been a while since I seriously dealt with it, but I think it is
something on the order of 3% discharge per month on a good lead acid
starting battery.  That being said, I just went through the same problem
on an old Farmall cub.  I had used it 3 days before, and all was ok, but
went to start it and battery was dead.  Put on charger for a few minutes
and all was good, used it for a couple hours, started it a couple times
and good.  Next day went to start it and dead, put it on charger and
would not take a charge.  Put load tester on it and showed bad.  Pulled
it out and connected directly to battery, still no charge and tested
bad. According to date I wrote on top the battery was 3 months shy of 5
years old, which is not bad.  Pulled the battery out of my old H I am in
the process of repairing and back in business.   Also checked for
battery drain using a DC amp clamp, and no drain when all shut off with
either battery.

As a side note, if you have the 4 position light switch with the HI - LO
setting you need to pay attention to those settings.  Unless the cutout
has been replaced by a regulator, that switch is the only control on how
much the battery is charged.  For short operating times of only a few
minutes and then shutoff it needs to be on high to keep the battery
charged, but for longer run times of an hour or more, such as mowing,
raking hay, plowing, disking, etc. it needs to be switched to LO to
prevent overcharging the battery and shortening it's life, even boiling
it dry.  Unfortunately, I have learned some of these lessons the hard
way after forgetting them the first time.