[Farmall] FARMALL H BATTERY DISCONNECT

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Wed Oct 8 12:41:30 PDT 2014

The normal method would always be to disconnect the HOT side of an
electrical circuit, (ie: the positive battery terminal).  That's why the
negative is always taken directly to ground on your car. All the switches
in your car are used to break power, not ground. Also think of how your
house is wired. The switches are always in the HOT side of the circuit.

As to whether to put the switch on the positive or negative terminal of
your tractor, it should go the terminal that DOES NOT go to ground. Either
way you do it would really work, but neither is going to guarantee that
your battery doesn't drain to nothing. If a short develops in the cable
that goes from the battery to the switch, the switch is not even going to
be in the circuit, and the battery will drain because you will have a dead
short across the battery.

If your battery drained on you over a few days, check all the wiring for
cracked/broken/worn insulation. Look for lugs that are bent over and
grounding out. Look for wires that are clamped to make sure there's
insulation under the clamps.

Also, check the output of your generator. You may be putting out enough
power to run the tractor, but not charge the battery. The output voltage
of the generator needs to be about 2 volts higher than the normal battery
voltage in order to charge. If your only putting out 10-12 volts on a 12
volt system, the tractor will run, but the battery won't charge. The
battery will try to make up the difference until it gets to the point
where it's discharged. On a 6 volt system you need to be putting out about
8 volts. You didn't specify what battery voltage your H is.

Then there's the battery itself. Is it too old to take a charge? Does it
have an internal short? Are all the battery terminals clean? Take it to an
auto parts store and have them test it.

If you're putting a cover over the battery when it's in its battery box,
is the cover causing a short across the battery terminals? Check terminal
height, cover insulation, etc.

Carl Szabelski

The Borg Are Wrong, Resistance Is Not Futile ..... It's Voltage / Current