[AT] [Bulk] Re: Todays flashlights

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 07:12:13 PST 2014

I agree in many respects with Ken.  A quality flashlight is a TOOL.  I
don't like crappy tools.  And if you develop the habit of carrying a
flashlight routinely, you'll soon wonder how you ever got along without.
One of the best "EDC" (every-day carry) in keeping with the Made In USA
theme is a Maglite Solitaire LED:

http://maglite.com/shop/maglite-solitaire-led-1-cell-aaa-flashlight.html#.VG9TU_nF-50

The Solitaire is TINY... hit that link above and look at the image of it
beside a set of housekeys.  I have one clipped to my Swiss Army Knife and
use it daily, more often than I use the knife.

Another Made In USA light I would highly recommend is Surefire.  This is
the Cadillac (Tesla?) of flashlights.  The prices will stop your heart.
Mine is their lowest-end product, the G2 Nitrolon.  It's the only one in
their line that's plastic (a very tough grade of glass-filled nylon)
instead of the rest of the line which is all military-grade,
MIL-spec-hard-coated aluminum.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/g2x-pro.html

The Surefire is designed to take two CR123A lithium (non-rechargeable)
batteries, which are law-enforcement and military focused.  They pack a lot
of power, they have a shelf-life of 15 years with zero leakage concerns,
and they work very well down to -40F.  Therefore, they are not cheap!
Purchased in bulk they aren't too bad, about $1.50 apiece, but I've moved
on to a rechargeable lithium-ion cell called a 17670 which drops in place
of 2 CR123A.

I've got two 3 D-cell Mags that have been converted with Terralux drop-in
bulbs, which my wife likes to have around.  These are very early Terralux
bulbs that only throw out about 30 lumens (I think they're up to about 140
now) but when you focus them in, you get a tight, bright spot.  Runtime on
LED is so high that we'll never see the end of the first set of D-cells and
I worry more about alkaline leakage and corrosion than I do about draining
them.

And I've got several 2 AA Minimags dating to before Maglite even offered an
LED product.  They were converted with NiteIze kits, which in those days
used three normal LED's (the little cylindrical ones that are familiar to
most people) which don't have a ton of output and don't focus, rather
throwing a sort of floody beam that is very useful at shorter distances
like walking the dog.

SO