[AT] JD 620 / charging six-volt batteries

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Nov 21 04:56:51 PST 2014

Thanks for all the good replies, gentlemen.  Consensus certainly seems to be
that I can just charge the two batteries together as a single 12-volt
battery.

My purpose in all of this is to keep the batteries charged and the tractor
ready to start on cold mornings this winter, when I need it to clear snow
from the driveway.  I have both 6-volt and 12-volt battery tenders, and
enough of the quick-disconnect harnesses to put two on the 620, one for each
battery, so I could use the 6-volt tender there and leave the 12-volt tender
on the Super M (which has been converted to a 12-volt system).  Or I could
put a single harness on the 620 by treating the two batteries as a single
12-volt, and then just move the 12-volt tender back and forth between
tractors now and then.  From the discussion here I believe either approach
would work.

I haven't had any trouble with the 620 batteries, but it's unlikely to get
many long-duration periods of use over the winter, mostly short-duration
work, so lots of cold cranking to start and not much run time to recharge
via the generator.   I have to say I was pleased that it fired right up last
night when I went to move the brushhog to a better winter-storage location;
the weather's been way cold for this time of year, single-digit temps or
nearly so every night for the past few days, and I hadn't run the tractor in
a couple of weeks.

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio