[AT] The Breakdowns continue

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:50:41 PST 2014

Cecil,  There are some differences in the power director
on the bigger, newer A-C's from the smaller older ones like I
have but I think they are essentially the same.  The big difference
is the smaller tractors are manually actuated with a big lever and
yours should have a hydraulic solenoid that puts it in and out of gear.

As for adjusting the clutch.  Usually they go out of adjustment from wear.
Even though they are simple wet clutch packs the rollers and eccentrics that
engage them wear.  If the wear is not excessive there are some shims between
the clutch packs that can be moved.  There should be a side cover that
allows
you to access the clutch pack.  Once you can see it you'll find shims in the
middle
between the two clutches and shims on either side.  You adjust it by moving
an
equal number of shims from each clutch pack two the center or maybe it's
moving them
from the center to the two clutches.  I don't remember off hand but what
ever you do,
always move the same number on each side.  When you turn the clutch you'll
find three
(I think it's 3) sets of shims.  Make sure to do the same thing in all three
locations.

It's not as hard as it seems once you figure it out.  However I don't know
how hard it is to access on
the larger tractors with cabs.  You'd do well to go over to
AllisChalmers.com and get some advice there.
Dr. Allis or some of those guys can tell you exactly what to do.  Some of
them will want you to take it
apart and fix the wear but so far I have only had to swap shims on mine.

Charlie