[AT] OT lubricating a cable

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 19:20:27 PST 2014

Man I do love this list! You guys have really given me some great ideas. I
noticed when I tried moving the end I am working with yesterday I could hear
it creaking. I think my new plan is to see if it is cracking the insulation
from bending. If not, I'll try to gently roll it/coil it to help break up
the rust. Glad to hear other folks using diesel fuel as well. I've got a
little bit of time to let this thing soak while I do some other maintenance.
I never knew motorcycle cables could be so bothersome, those gizmos for
lubing them are pretty neat. I may look into  making something like that for
this. I've got the same size cables going to the brakes. I blame the brakes
for being worn out, but now I need to un hook them and see how well the
cables move. Regarding the snowmobile cables that froze up, If it gets that
cold, I'm going to stay at the house!
For what it is worth, some of the diesel I put in the hose I connected to it
went "somewhere". I topped it off with a couple more ounces and pumped the
air back up, it still had about 40 psi on it. Maybe I can get this cable off
tomorrow night and apply some of the ides you guys have given.

Thanks,
John Hall