[AT] [Bulk] Re: Todays flashlights

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 06:14:00 PST 2014

I carry a Mag-lite Tactical and have for several years. At the beginning of
this thread there were questions about switches... the reason I went to the
Mag-lite was to replace the less expensive light I had carried for a couple
years. The inexpensive light had a switch failure so I went with a unit
with a sealed switch (OK, my wife did, as it was a Christmas present).
The first Mag-lite (XL100) was good enough to survive me for a number of
years, including a trip through the washer and dryer, though it wasn't
unscathed. It became somewhat flaky after that and finally failed about 8
months later. The housing is bent and whatnot; I use the light a LOT and
it'll get dropped on everything from concrete to cactus, and they are
extremely handy for looking in electrical gear (meaning it's a work tool,
IMHO)
    I bought 2 replacements; one XL50 and one XL200 from Amazon. My biggest
beef with these things is that when I put them in my pocket, I tend to
eventually bump the switch and turn it on which drains the battery. I
realize the proper thing to do is get a belt holster for it but I still
haven't gotten one of Farmer's Round Tuits. Perhaps Christmas... hmm..
Anyway, the XL50 is a very concentrated beam which I use for my morning
exercise. More than once I've used it as a deterrent for dogs deciding to
come at me while jogging... the bright beam confuses them and makes them
back off. For working in the shop, the XL50 can be too bright to use unless
used on the dim setting. The XL200 is somewhat more diffused and more
useful for (my indoor) general usage. Outdoors, I prefer the XL50 though...
    I've used a number of cheaper units as well. I just want it to work.
It's an important tool, like my pocket knife (Kershaw, US-made) and
smartphone (Motorola Droid Maxx, well-made but not in US), and it's worth
having quality gear for me. Mag-Lite are reliable, not cheap.

Just my $0.02

Ken in AZ