[AT] LED lights

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 04:50:56 PST 2014

Anyone using CFL rough service bulbs in their drop lights at the shop? I
think that’s what we have, its squiggly shaped with a circuit board inside.
They run about $7 ea from Lowes. We've been using them for a few years and
are highly impressed. No longer do you have to worry about the metal part of
light getting hot and burning you when it falls on you while you are under
something working. Not to mention it burning upholstery, or potentially
setting dust (think combines or hay balers) or some spilled flammable liquid
on fire. The only drawback I have seen is if they get dropped hard enough,
the bulb can separate at the circuit board. Just like incandescent roughs
service bulbs, we'll break them long before they ever burn out. I did have a
fluorescent drop light once. It lasted a long while but finally met its
match. I never could find another that I liked the quality enough of the
casing to buy another (at least at the price the stores had on them).

John Hall