[AT] The Breakdowns continue

Thomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 3 06:18:26 PST 2014

Maybe you should consider Horses. ;-}

________________________________
 From: Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, November 3, 2014 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] The Breakdowns continue

I know you guys have read of my ordeal trying to get a wheat crop
planted this year.   Well the wheat is up and I am considering turning
the cows into it for a little grazing.  We just had our first frost here
3 days ago.  I laid down about 60 acres of hay 4 days ago with the 7030
Allis and the Hesston 1340 disc swather. When traveling over rough
ground the drive shaft would come apart at the swather end.  The square
shaft needs to be about 8 inches longer.  Last year I cut  the shaft off
to balance the shaft as it runs at 1000 rpm.  However, when I angled the
cutterbar upward at the front to cut  higher , it added about 6 inches
to the required length.  It turned out that the female part of the shaft
had a slight bend in it and was causing the problem.  The square
shafting comes in a 3 ft length, and It was cut at 17 inches so there
won't be enough left in the piece to fix it.  It is $120 for 3 ft.!!  I
had about 50 ft left on the last swath when the shaft separated and the
pivot on top of the gearbox broke, so I quit.

Next day I hooked  the White 2-105 to the NH 648 baler since the Blue
Hole money pit TS110 NH is still broken down.  When I changed the PTO
shaft to  540 from the 1000, The shifter wold not move.  A neighbor was
helping me and we worked for 2 hours to get the shifter to move and even
called a former dealer to find out what was the problem.  No way would
it shift.  I thought maybe we could run at 1/2 engine speed and still
bale.  The White is a 105 hp tractor. However, at 540 rpm PTO on the
1000 Rpm side, not enough hyd pressure on the clutch pack to keep the
PTO running when the baler formed a core.  So we hooked it to the 7030
Allis.  After changing the Allis PTO shaft and removing the drawbar
extension for the swather and installing the extension hoses for the hyd
hoses on the baler.  By this time we had shot an entire day and had to
get a couple of machines (sprayer & pressure washer) drained to prevent
freezing that night..  Next day we tried to bale, but 2 rollers on the
baler were not turning.  When baling 2 months ago, I was near a creek
and someone had dumped a bunch of wood in the creek and it had washed
out into the pasture.  A piece of plywood had wedged between 2 rollers
in the front of the baler.  To remove a roller requires nearly
dismantling the entire side of the baler.  We got the plywood out with
my cordless Dewalt  sawzall and some wood chisels and a machete.  2 more
hours shot.  Next, the hydraulics would not raise the gate.  I thought
it was in the extension hoses since they had quick couplers in them to
use on other machinery.  We took out the quick connectors and connected
the hoses with pipe couplings.  Went to the field and the hydraulics
would not raise fast enough to keep from ruining a wrapped bale when
ejecting. Hooked into  the other remote valve on the tractor, but this
time one of the extension hoses started leaking.  Went back to the shop
and made a hose.  Went back to field.  Baled 4 bales and the PTO shaft
separated at the baler end.  Found the shaft in a windrow and found  a
set screw that held the yoke on the baler had vibrated out.  It was a
1/2 inch fine thread with a tapered point.  All I had in stock were
coarse thread.  I made a set screw from a bolt with my grinder and put
it back in with a lock nut and tightened it tight enough to hold till
the baler rusts apart.  Went back to the field and baled another 6
bales.  Moved to another field 4 miles away and started.  Baled 3 bales
and lost the PTO shaft.  This time the square shaft came out of the yoke
on the tractor end.  No damage, but we had to get a rake to search the
windrow for the shaft.  A friend lived across the road from the field
and he welded the shaft into the yoke and we went back to work.   Had to
quit at near dark, I thought maybe the morning would bring some moisture
it was getting dry.  The 15mph wind was trying to move the windrow.
Yesterday morning I finished the field starting at daybreak with a  20
mph wind from the south.  No additional moisture.  Should have tried to
work with the 2 lights that worked on the tractor.  The 17 acre field
made 19 bales. 2 years ago this same field made 115 bales during the
drought.

Looks like rain this evening, so baler is in shed.  The 7030 Allis is
slipping when I engage the clutch,  I need to figure out the power
director clutch and see if an adjustment will repair it or I need to
split another tractor.   If so that will be 4 that need to be split here.

Cecil in Okla

---