[AT] OT lubricating a cable

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 08:00:49 PST 2014

John, I will tell you what a friend taught me to do for snowmobile throttle
cables some 45 years ago.  Can this work for you?  Your decision.

Due to the environment they work in, the throttle cables would take
moisture inside and then possible freeze inside, locking the throttle and
sometimes in the wide open position, so watch out.  Those particular cables
(Polaris) had a junction block about in the middle where they went from one
cable to two cables, one for each carb.  We drilled a small hole (under
1/16 inch) into one side of that block.  This allowed us to inject WD-40
through the hole to protect the cable in both directions.  We then taped
around over the hole to seal the unit back up.  The tape (silicone would
work) could then be removed to again lubricate the cables periodically.

I realize this is an entirely different problem from yours.  We were
fighting moisture rather than rust.  Just thinking that small holes here
and there on your cable might give you access to the inside.

What not to do:  If there is a plastic or nylon liner in the inside of the
cable, DO NOT USE HEAT.  I tried that once with an automotive parking brake
cable.  That welded everything into a solid mess so I had to face up to the
cost of a new one.

Charlie V