[AT] In praise of hydraulics

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Nov 1 15:54:33 PDT 2014

I love the Super M, and it remains my go-to tractor for hauling a wagon or
pulling little osage orange trees out by the roots.  But I'm getting right
fond of the hydraulic systems on the other tractors.

Today's chore was spreading about ten tons of #4 limestone gravel in front
of one of the barns.  There was already some leading up to the garage doors
and down toward the farrowing shed but not hardly any at all by the two big
open bays, so that area was starting to get muddy and rutted.  I had a big
stockpile of the gravel nearby, delivered for this job and a few others, and
this morning set out with the Kubota with the front loader to start moving
some of it.   That's a handy little machine right there and I got halfway
good at spreading the rock as I was dumping it, but it still needed a lot of
smoothing out and the area was big enough that backblading with the little
Kubota bucket just wasn't cutting it.  Fortunately, the 620 was right there
too.

http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/gravel_20141101.jpg

(Those following the continuing saga of the 620 may note the non-flat front
tire and the non-missing (but barn-rusty) rear wheel weight.  And that dent
in the muffler is hardly visible from this angle at all.  :)

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio