[AT] NH vs JD baler

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri May 30 06:49:44 PDT 2014

I need to add to an earlier post about banana shaped bales.  If you ever
are crazy enough to buy one of those in-line balers, get ready for those
curved bales.  I had the misfortune to be talked into one of those
bastard Hesston balers by a good friend and tractor mechanic.  It was a
twine tie also. I never baled a straight bale with it.  Livingston told
me it had been through the shop.  Probably changed one bolt in the whole
baler!!  My friend thought the chain was worn which would cause some
timing issues.  The new chain was over $800.  In light hay, the hay
would fall out when the stuffer made the return stroke.  I finally sold
it at the sale for $4000 and only lost $1000.  It would have taken
another $2500 to make it bale good in a heavy windrow.    Also, I could
never get used to a small square baler that ran behind me.  I needed it
to be at the side!!!!   I hope I never see another inline square baler
again...

Cecil in OKla