[AT] NH vs JD baler

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu May 29 07:47:04 PDT 2014

I also can relate to the issue of price/acreage justification for
newer/larger machines. I bought an old (1990's potato digger rather than a
real harvester because the real harvester route starts used in the range of
$100,000 and for 30 acres of mixed varieties it just does not pencil out for
that! In the situation for Ralph, perhaps getting a used three wire baler
and harobed out of Washington or Oregon might be the way to go? The price
would be reasonable, the units are easy to work on and most parts are not
hard to get if they are New Holland or Freeman. Just a thought....
        Grant Brians
        Hollister,California farmer of vegetables, nuts and fruit
p.s. But sometimes new is the way to go. I just had to get JD6430 4WD #3 in
the last 5 years - all either new or rental return. I hate the need to have
two tractor payments every month, but it just became clear we had pushed
several of the "older new" - i.e. 1990's tractors to their limit and beyond
as far as economic usage.