[AT] Manifold to head issue

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue May 27 09:28:38 PDT 2014

Gunnells, Bradley R wrote:
> I've got a question to see how others might handle this issue.
>
> I've got a Allis WD-45 that the exhaust manifold had burned out along
> the gasket on #4 cylinder. Since this tractor is new to me I don't
> know how long it was like that but I suspect years. I've torn it
> apart and have a new manifold to put on it but noticed when I ran a
> file across it that there is a bit of pitting and a slight gap around
> the port at the end of the head.
>
> I know the "correct" way to fix it would probably be to remove the
> head and have a machine shop weld up and surface the head. But in
> trying to avoid that time and expense I was wondering if others have
> found alternate solutions to such a problem. Would something like JB
> Weld dabbed along the pitted area when the manifold is installed hold
> up? This is the exhaust port so all pressure is going to be forcing
> it out so I'm not as concerned about sucking something into the
> cylinder. Any other remedies folks have tried that have been
> successful?

Permatex muffler and tailpipe putty would probably do the trick. I've
used it between the manifold on an H and the head. Has held for 5 years
so far.

Another option since you have access would be to clean it very well and
use a torch to add some brass to the low spot. Shape it smooth and it
should hold for a lot longer.

--
Steve W.