[AT] OT truck tires/driveshaft?

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon May 12 06:17:20 PDT 2014

At 40mph the rear wheels are turning about 344 rpm and 515 rpm at 60mph.
    The vibration from an out of round tire would be 5-6/second (hz) at
40mph and 8.5hz at 60. If the out-of-roundness was on opposite sides in
a dual wheel pair, then this would double.  If the vibration changes
after turning a corner, then it would indicate out of roundness in the
tires and within the dual wheel pairs.
Most truck rear end ratios are in the range of 6:1, so this would equal
an engine rpm of 2064 (34.4hz) at 40mph to 3090 (51.5hz) at 60mph.   I
would check the driveshaft to be sure the yokes are aligned on each
section of the shaft and that all the yokes are in alignment on the
entire shaft.  if there was no master spline on the splined slip joint,
then one spline out of alignment would cause a vibration.
Also, there can be some vibration from the engine harmonic balancer.
Try running the engine from 2000 up to 3000rpm while in neutral and see
if the vibration occurs.

This is just some of the things I look at when diagnosing truck
problems.  With most of my trucks, I don't have time to find out the
cause and just have to live with it.  However if it can be fixed quickly
I can do it.

Cecil in OKla