[AT] Brake controllers

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon May 5 13:48:54 PDT 2014

A few notes as Charlie makes some good points. It doesn't' take much in the way of power and ground to make the lights work. Brakes are considerably more energy consuming.

This past late fall I finally got around to replacing the boards on my dad's car/utility trailer. It's a lot easier working on one with no floor as you can crawl across instead of under. I stripped all the wiring off and put on all new along with lights. On his trailer there was a dedicated ground and hot wire from the brake axle to the front of the trailer and into the plug. So you need to make sure you have a good grounding on the truck end of things too. But as others have said, a meter on the brake pin will go a long way to seeing which end the problem lies. Also I've run into issues where the the constant pulling and pushing on the trailer lead had loosened the wires in the plug end and things were connecting inside. Also, if anyone has had that apart or you have a different tow vehicle make sure that the brake pin on the truck is actually the brake pin on the trailer. I changed mine over to an RV style plug since those are common on new vehicles. In my search for wiring schematics I found notes of a slight variance (forget what now, backup lights maybe?). So I used a test light and made sure mine matched my vehicle.

While lights and brakes seem simple enough they can be a challenge. And as was mentioned, make sure they are adjusted properly too, They can give the appearance of an electrical problem when in fact it's mechanical.

just some additional things to ponder.

Brad