[AT] Brake controllers

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon May 5 13:24:54 PDT 2014

Joe,  two points.  You might be getting power to the lights and not to the
brake magnets.
I'm not sure how yours is wired but I suspect there is a bigger wire that
runs the brakes
and a smaller one to the lights.

Point two.  It only takes a few amps to light the light bulbs.  It takes
considerably more
to engage and hold those electromagnets.  Thus the reason for a bigger wire.

You could have corrosion or a bad connection on the wire to the brakes and
not on the lights
or you could be getting enough current to burn the lights but not enough to
actuate the brakes.

If that all checks out then the problem is probably in the controller.  It
might not be bad.  It might
just be out of adjustment.   There is more than one type and I haven't
messed with any of them for
a while so I won't try to address that.

Charlie