[Farmall] Gas in crankcase

Mark Weinheimer mrw601 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:58:48 PDT 2014

I had the problem, years ago on a Super A, before I rebuilt it.  I
suspected that the rings were so bad that it was leaking by on the
compression stroke.  It never ran for a long time, so it wouldn't evaporate
because the motor never got real warm.  It went away after I rebuilt the
motor.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Barney Van De Weert <bbvande at yahoo.com>wrote:

> The only place this could happen is through the carb, leaking needle and
> seat- however by the time it got high enough you would have gas leaking out
> of the drain in the carb. You can see whats going on by unhooking the air
> tube going into the carb and watch it. When I was in college our Prof
> recommended that we leave the air pipe off the carb and turn the gas on for
> a day or so to make sure the needle and seat were not leaking.
>
> Also would it be possible that someone put it in there by mistake?
>
> Barney Van De Weert
> On Friday, March 28, 2014 5:17 PM, Jerry Bossard <jerry.bossard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Fellow Farmall fans and experts!
>
> Can anyone tell me how gas would get into the crankcase of a '42 H?  Is it
> possible to get in from the governor/throttle control?
>
> I went to check the oil level on the crankcase and when I opened the
> test cock l found oily gas coming out.  I know it's gas because it smells
> like gas, doesn't separate like water and oil, and the oily gas ignites.  I
> used a paper towel to clean a spot off the floor of the mixture and lit the
> towel on fire to confirm gas.
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated. Tractor seems to run ok.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jerry

Mark Weinheimer
Farm Manager