[AT] Shows and hydraulics

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Mar 17 21:32:14 PDT 2014

Posting of shows is always fine.  Even if you are a vendor or show sponsor, the benefits to our mailing list outweigh any potential conflict of interest.  Plus - let's face it.  No one made a killing on an antique tractor show. (-:

I did have an antique tractor disappointment this weekend.   The remote hydraulics on my Ford 861 would not operate the county grain drill.  My friend and neighbor with a very nice JD 4720 saved the day and we got my ten acres drilled, but I am a bit stumped as to why mine would not handle it.    The hydraulics are 2000 psi and 4 gallons a minute.   I assumed the action would be slow, but with only two 3, maybe 4" cylinders (plumbed in series) on each wheel, I assumed it would raise and lower it.   All it did was move it up enough to get the travel guards off the rams.  Then it would not get it up enough to get them back on O-:=

Just curious what you folks thought was my problem.  My neighbor and I just assumed it was a power issue. But it is only a ~6' foot drill and does not weigh that much.  My other hydraulic implements operate fine - granted they are single 2 and 3 inch cylinders.

I tried all the usual stuff, like routing the discharge straight to the reservoir, switching lines, etc.  any feedback would be appreciated

Ps.  The drill was a Truax Flex II

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone