[Farmall] still earning their keep

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 18:53:58 PDT 2014

Been very quiet here lately, too cold to go to the shop?

It was time for the M to earn its keep this past week. We used it to topdress wheat with liquid nitrogen. It’s been doing it since the 50’s. I don’t know how it hasn’t rusted into a heap of brown scrap metal, must be a lot of lead in that old paint. It has a mounted John Blue sprayer with a ground drive pump. Something a bit nostalgic about sending that tractor to the field, got to love the sound of its exhaust.

I think one of the Super A’s is trying to tell me something. It decided to die while towing the 500 gallon trailer I haul nitrogen in. I had just got  the tank in place so I could fill the M. I checked to see if I had fire to the distributor, was it getting gas etc. Sometimes it would hit, other times it would run for a few seconds,eventually it wouldn’t do anything. Fuel and fire seemed OK, nothing was making sense, or was it the really cold wind making me not care. The next day I found the problem, the contact point on the moveable piece of the points had fallen off. Installed a new set, problem solved. Getting close to spring so time to pull both A’s in the shop for an oil change.

John Hall