[AT] Update: John Deere 70 Diesel

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Jun 5 21:24:08 PDT 2014

As you may remember, a month or so ago I posted about a John Deere 70
Diesel with pony start that my brother bought; which after he drove it 4
miles home had no oil pressure or oil on the dipstick. Well, the dealer
did pick it up the next day and was going to take it to a private
mechanic who had worked for him a few years ago when he owned a John
Deere dealership. From here the story takes many twists and turns. Last
week he called my brother to see if he still wanted the tractor. This is
where the story begins. It appears the dealer called the original owner
to see if he could provide some insight about the problem or had any
idea what could be the problem with the oil pressure. The original owner
said that to his knowledge nothing was wrong with the tractor and it had
no problems. The surprising thing was that the original owner said that
he traded the tractor as good and that he is honest and as such he would
pay for the repairs. He then took the tractor to his own mechanic which
just happened to be one that has done work for my brother also. He to,
is a private mechanic and his rates are quite reasonable; the repairs
were around $800. My brother then called the mechanic to get the scoop
on things.
Now to the problem: On the clutch side is a main bearing; it is a sleeve
bearing 4 inches in diameter and about 2 inches wide. All the way around
on the inside middle of the bearing is a grove about one fourth inch
wide and maybe a sixteenth inch deep for the oil to flow. The bearing
split in half at the grove (we have the bearing) and the outer half
pushed sideways and forced out the seal allowing all the oil to be
pumped into the transmission, which is where the mechanic found the oil.
He said that the oil pressure gauge gets its reading from this bearing.
In fact when he fixed it he said he set the pressure down as it was
higher than it should be. As to the engine itself, he didn't check it as
no had told him the whole story. Someone on this list had posted that my
oil capacity figures did not sound right- and he was right. When the
mechanic drained the oil a little over four quarts came out. He does not
no exactly why but said that JD must have designed the system so even if
the oil pressure were gone, somehow the engine was getting oil or it
would have seized up driving it home. He also said he had it running for
over an hour and drove it up and down the road and heard no unusual
noises. He also put in new engine oil and filter as well as changing the
trans oil. After getting the call my brother told the dealer he would
like to try the tractor before buying it again. He drove it home last
Saturday and the first part of the week we tried it out on a 12 foot
harrow. It was set quite deep but we were going almost 5mph and the
wheels were slipping a little. I drove it a couple of rounds and I must
say it was great fun listening to that great sound. My brother has since
called the dealer to tell him he would take it but just got the
answering machine but I'm sure they will get it straight. To backtrack a
little, my brother put a stop payment on the check to protect his
options and the dealer knew this so he stapled the check to the receipt
until things were settled and set it aside. Well, as always seems to
happen, the dealers  secretary torn the check off the bill and sent it
through the bank thus causing another $30 fee. Surprisingly, the dealer
says he will cover the fee. A lot of drama and trouble, but it looks
like everyone is trying to be fair and it will turn out OK for all
concerned. If anyone has any other questions I will try to answer them.
           Greg Hass