[AT] The terror strikes again. - Studebaker speed response

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Jun 5 09:43:29 PDT 2014

Steve, I do have to respond to your comment.... I had two GT Hawk, one mine
that I still own and one for my mother. My GT Hawk did indeed have drum
brakes (Studebakers nice big 12"x3" ones), but my mom's had the Girling Disc
Brakes. Also, radial tires had come out by the 70's so both cars were on
radials. At the time most people said you could not use Radials on the
suspensions on these cars, but I proved that not to be true. I also use them
on my 1953 Champion Starlight Coupe. So, partly right on the conditions!
     I would not say that there have not been improvements in some safety
items in vehicles, but one I have a huge argument with is the deterioration
in tires over the last ten years. There just is not longevity anymore. This
is especially a problem on agricultural trailer tires as we typically never
wear out the tread, but the casings fail now quickly (I define quickly as
anything less than 20 years as a typical conserving farmer....) Abs is great
when it works, but I also have seen many cases where it just does not seem
to.
            Grant Brians