[AT] The terror strikes again. - Studebaker speed response

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 06:33:38 PDT 2014

You've got to be careful making blanket statements about traction control.
 There are different technical approaches and within the approaches there's
different hardware and software providing various degrees of efficacy.

Some traction control systems merely cut back on engine power to reduce
wheelspin.  These systems aren't terribly effective but they do help some.

Some traction control systems will selectively apply some braking to a
spinning wheel which transfers some torque thru to the other drive wheel on
that axle via the normal action of an open differential.  You can cook the
brakes if you really stand on it long and hard in a very low-traction
situation with a system like this, but as long as you're careful, these
types of systems are significantly more effective.

The TC in my VW has multiple programs.  It changes sensitivity at 39 deg F,
and it has a manual setting so you can tell it if you've got real snow
tires installed.

If you're really in deep, you probably NEED some wheelspin, and that's why
all traction control systems (as far as I know) can be manually shut off.

SO