[AT] The terror strikes again. - Studebaker speed response

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Jun 3 03:54:35 PDT 2014

On June 2, 2014 10:13:59 PM CDT, Mike <meulenms at gmx.com> wrote:
>Anti-lock brakes will definitely stop you faster, and along with
>stability control, makes for a safer vehicle. Traction control is a
>whole different story. My wife needs to turns hers off to avoid getting
>
>stuck in deep snow, it won't allow any wheels spin, and you lose
>momentum.
>
>Mike M
>
>On 6/2/2014 10:52 PM, Charlie V wrote:
>> Just saying, Steve, bias ply tires and drum breaks were not that bad.
>> sure put on a lot of (luckily) accident free miles with that type
>equipment
>> as did many other folks.  I am not convinced the anti lock breaking
>systems
>> are all they are cracked up to be either.
>>
>> Grant:  My '47 Studebaker champion with overdrive would touch a
>dollar bill
>> on a good day but it needed a good two miles of road and zero
>headwind to
>> creep it up there.  Tested it out the first day I got it on the road
>at 16
>> years old. (Me for the 16.  the car was just slightly younger.)
>>
>> Charlie V.

>>> younger
>there were

>cell
>>>
>>> Very true, Ralph!  But on the downside, he was doing it on skinny
>bias-ply
>>> tires and drum brakes!
>>>
>>> SO

It very much depends on which car you have. For a long time I thought traction control was great and why would anyone not want it all the time. Then I went looking for a car for my wife and found most of them as bad as you say.

I endorse traction control on my vw, and anything with a similar system. I have no use for it elsewhere.