[AT] Spam> Re: The terror strikes again. - When Geezers Were Teens

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Jun 2 11:50:35 PDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 11:20 AM, Grant Brians wrote:
> Ralph, that is why I got all of my need for speed out when I was younger in my Studebaker cars.... 125mph between the farm fields where there were no police...
Grant et Al,

As a barely pre-driving age teen lusting after the usual babe-magnet
wheels of the day, remember thinking loudly to myself - but not more
than daily - how sexy cars were totally wasted on geezers that never
seemed to drive them over the speed limit.  Good friend of my dad, who
should have known better at about 45, brought his brand new red '55
Thunderbird out to our farm and took me out for a spin in the gorgeous
critter.  He chose a two-lane road that was occasional straight
stretches between winding curves in hilly country well west of St.
Louis. He picked it for its lack of policing.  No matter that the
pavement was falling apart nor the straight stretches long enough for
it, he proceeded to wring the T-bird out a bit. Something told me that
part of his plan was to scare me.  At 122mph and not too far from the
next curve, remember firmly resolving that I would NEVER show my fear
(considerable) to him 'til death and also thinking this might come any
second.

To prove he did not have the patent on dumb, I waited until I had a
family to get the speed kick out of my system - with motorcycles. Bought
and sold about 13, until ladies driving cars kept trying to prove they
could kill me faster by ignoring my presence and the driving laws. They
finally convinced me when I was about 30 that they were right.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas