[AT] The terror strikes again. - Studebaker speed response

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Mon Jun 2 09:20:53 PDT 2014

Ralph, that is why I got all of my need for speed out when I was younger in my Studebaker cars.... 125mph between the farm fields where there were no police, houses or cross traffic and a three mile straightaway is enjoyable in a Gran Turismo Hawk. But I also drove MANY a time my 1953 Studebaker Champion Starlite Coupe at over 85mph. That may not sound impressive, but the flathead straight six only had 78 horsepower and the car is 18 feet long. I remember the look on the woman's face who I passed once on Interstate 5 in her brand new Volvo "sport" sedan after she had passed me and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Back then there were no airplanes enforcing the speedlimits and the highway patrol was barely patrolling.
     Back in 1979 the fellows from the Studebaker parts dealership were driving their 1964 pickup truck with the R3 (supercharged factory V8 304 cubic inches)with a load of parts in it back from Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay Area and averaged 105mph including the mountains. That was faster than I would have wanted to go, but then the traffic was light enough to do that sort of thing. Today California's nearly 40million people makes that sort of thing less safe and the drivers are not nearly as good in my opinion. In 1979 California had 23million people - not much more than half today's population. Our county had 25,000 people then and now has 58,000 or so!
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California