[AT] here I go again

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Tue Jul 22 22:08:10 PDT 2014

John,
     Once again, thanks for the information.  I, no doubt, will have
some questions on down the line.
This tractor will not be working all that hard, but I do want it up in
good shape.  So far everything is pretty good that I have looked at,
with the exception of the pto/belt pully not staying in gear. Something
is worn in there.  Rocking the tractor revealed very little play in the
axle bearings.  You can hear a clunk but not see much movement.  There
has to be some,  however.  The steering gearbox is tight with no up and
down movement where the tie rods attach.  It is, however leaking some
lube at the bottom.  Brakes seem quite good.  The radiator has been to a
radiator shop and is very nice with perfect straight fins.  New belts
installed and evidence the fan has been oiled.  I will, however check
that.  There is no water pump.  It seems odd to me that there is not a
temperature gauge for coolant.  It must have been discarded for some
reason.  I assume it came with one.  There is a temp gauge for the
hydraulic oil.  It may not work, though.  It looks pretty tough, but I
have not worked it enough for it to be showing any temperature. The
engine does smoke just a little until it is warmed up, so it probably
uses a little oil.  The ring gear has a bad spot.  The fuse holder cap
and fuse are gone.  The bad headlight wiring is probably the reason for
that.  The tractor came to NW Iowa from Michigan. That is all the
history I have.  I don't think it has done a tremendous amount of field
work, but maybe quite a bit of belt work and a whole bunch of sitting in
a shed.  Everything is fairly tight and straight, including the
cultivator but not a thing is shiny. The sweeps are worn, but not really
worn out.  The steering wheel is even very good with the exception of
someone's initials carved into it.  Not much wear on the pedals or the
platform or the notches on the throttle.  Seat covering is gone.  Car
tires on the front but I have a good set of tractor fronts for it.
Rears are very good. More info as I get the time to spend on it.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA