[AT] JD 620 details

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jul 3 23:02:23 PDT 2014

Ron,

I fully agree. That tractor has been taken care of. I don't think I have ever seen an original working
620 with the automatic fuel shutoff still working.  I sure would like to spend several hours talking
to the original owner about what he did to take such good care of it.  I suspect one of the reasons is
this tractor was the main farm tractor for only two or three years when a NG JD Tractor was purchased
to do the major amount of the work.  Then I suspect the 620  became a "Yard Tractor" in the language
that was used on our farm. I thought I bought a fairly pristine 1958 620 High Clearance with WFE but
this one is even better.  I'm impressed. I think I would have wet my pants if I had run onto this
tractor.  We had a JD 50 that was our "Yard Tractor"  and I spent quite a bit of time and energy
trying to locate it when I started collecting tractors. My BIL bought it at my Dad's auction and then
a couple years later traded it in on a IH tractor. "heresy". The IH dealer went out of business and
all sale records have been lost. I never knew the serial number or I would have run an ad in the local
NW IA newspapers to see if it was still around. 50's aren't all that much of a collector tractor but
it was my Dad's. Dad traded in a 70 Gas for a 3010 which he got killed on with 40 hours on the
tractor. I never wanted to trace or ever see that tractor again at all although I know it was rebuilt
and sold.  The JD 70 was the tractor I have several 1000's of hours of seat time on as a teenager but
it was so worn out that I really didn't pursue finding it either.  What is a bit strange is I've
gathered up several JD Two Cylinder Tractors over the years but never a JD 70. I've looked at a few
but I have never found one that floated my boat.  I guess I wanted the perfect one and never found it.
My buying days are over now.  Maybe it is good to just let my fond memories of that tractor live in my
fantasy world.  I did get my Dad's original two Bottom tag plow and two row cultivator that I pulled
behind B's when I was really young.  My Dad, my brother and I would three shift that B pulling the two
bottom plow and plow 24 hours a day round the clock. A 5 gallon can of gas would run that tractor for
8 hours.  I wanted the night shift because the tractor had a little more power at night and liked to
see the muffler glow a little. Very fond memories.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is, probably remorse.
Red Green