[AT] here I go again

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 19:39:46 PDT 2014

I believe I have heard dad mention a lister, I'll have to ask him for
details. That’s definitely a different ballgame than anything I have ever
seen. The reason I mentioned the use of a cultipacker instead of driving
over the rows was something an old timer told me he did one year. It was
extremely dry when it came time to plant tobacco. The land was really loose
and powdery. They bedded the rows and then ran a cultipacker over them to
firm them. Since tobacco is transplanted and not direct seeded, it was the
only way they could get the land in order to firm around the roots. I guess
the sword/row opener was pushing the dirt off the row rather than slicing it
open.

John Hall