[AT] here I go again

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jul 30 08:05:57 PDT 2014

I'm sure that rig is a tough ride but it wouldn't be my first rough ride!
I'd just love to have a disc hooked to something with that much power
one time in my life after growing up pulling a 16 blade disc harrow and
having to go over a field 3 or 4 times to get it flat enough to put a
breaking plow in.

All of our planters, even the old horse drawn ones had curved plates
(shoes) on the back of them to pack the furrows some sort of device
to pack the row.   If I remember the old ones right there was a sort of a
chisel called an
opener that cut the furrow for the seed, then the planter dropped the seed
in
the furrow and there were two curved metal shoes that closed the furrow and
then 2 metal wheels mounted more or less like the front wheels on a steel
wheeled
tricycle tractor behind that.  Those wheels powered the planter plates.  I
might  not have
that in the right order.  The shoes might have been in the rear.

It amazes me how far farming has come both in terms of equipment and
science.
I occasionally tune in to AG PhD program on RFDTV.  I wish I had every
episode of it
on file somewhere.  I wish I had stayed on the farm but when my dad died it
became
difficult and no one encouraged me.  I've always regretted not giving it a
try.  The
friends I grew up with that did stick it out are very well off today.

Charlie