[AT] [Bulk] Re: Oil & Grease questions

Steve Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 02:34:30 PDT 2014

It's not quite that simple.  SF remains a common specification in power equipment and off-road engines.   Later oils dropped ZDDP, a very effective anti-wear additive for sliding surfaces like cam followers.   ZDDP doesn't play nice with catalytic converters.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 28, 2014, at 10:52 PM, Thomas O Mehrkam <tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> http://www.motorexbih.com/API-SAE%20Engine%20Oil%20Service.pdf
>
> Some interesting reading.
>
> SF is an obsolete API rating
>
> CC is an obsolete  Diesel/ Gas engine rating
>
> For engine use the later ratings can be used for all older engines.  For
> transmission service ?
>

>> On 7/28/2014 8:13 PM, Steve Offiler wrote:
>> The ATV oil is fine but I'd visit a reputable auto parts store and get the right grease.  Molybdenum disulphide grease is common and it does have specific high-pressure properties that Husqvarna apparently thinks necessary.
>>
>> SO
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 28, 2014, at 8:24 PM, "DDSS" <ddss at telebeep.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I bought a Husqvarna articulating mower.
>>>
>>> Oil... They say to use 10w-40 SF/CC in the tranny.  The only 10w-40 that I
>>> can find locally, that is listed as meeting SF standards, is Valvoline ATV
>>> 4-stroke oil.  It says meets or exceeds API SF/SG/SJ. Never mentions CC.
>>> Does it make any difference that it says ATV 4 Stroke oil, designed
>>> specifically for all terrain vehicles? Can it still be used in this tranny?
>>>
>>> Grease... they say the user must use a quality "molybdenum disulphide"
>>> grease.  What the heck is that?  I have a shelf full of TSC's Traveller