[AT] Farmall starter switch

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Jul 27 18:01:06 PDT 2014

Gentlemen, you hit the nail on the head with the idea about rocking the
tractor.

It didn't initially seem to make any difference, still no sound or movement
from the starter even after rocking the tractor, so I took the starter off.
Laid it on the floor, stepped lightly on it with one foot to hold it still,
and hooked it up to some jumper cables from the battery...and it worked just
fine.   So I looked at the ring gear on the tractor, through the hole where
the starter used to be, and saw the teeth were somewhat banged up.   Put the
tractor back in 5th gear and rocked it some more to rotate the ring gear a
little, put the starter back on, hooked everything back up, climbed up,
switched on, pulled the starter rod, and the tractor fired right up like
nothing had ever been wrong.

Thanks to all--

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio