[AT] Injection pump rebuild

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Sun Jul 27 18:59:17 PDT 2014

Good job, Cecil! Your perseverance paid off!

Phil in TX

--- crbearden at copper.net wrote:

From: Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] Injection pump rebuild
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:31:05 -0500

> My JD 2270 swather was built in early to mid 70's.    I bought itabout
> 3 months ago locally and spent a lot of time and about $1000 of parts
> to get it back into shape.  When I bought it the PO said that the inj.
> pump would plug with some little pieces of rubber at times and he
> would just clean it out.  It would plug in the check valve in the top
> cover of the Roosa Master pump.   I did not remember what this symptom
> was at the time, but a week or so later, it came to me.  The Governor
> drive ring in the pump  is made of 2 pieces with a rubber gasket like
> piece that fits over some rivets on each piece to drive the governor.
> Low Sulfur diesel and the new additives in fuel now tends to eat on
> the rubber.  A new one made of polyethylene or ?? is the replacement.
> I found a forum discussion about injection pumps on the tractor by net
> forum ( I think) and got a email address for US Diesel who supplies
> the parts.  There is a replacement governor ring that is solid, so I
> ordered it.  A swather runs at a constant speed, so it would not need
> a cushion between those plates.  I also ordered the seal kit and a bit
> to remove the timing screw that is special to JD.  I put the parts up
> and bought 2 repair manuals on the pump. one from IHC and the other
> from ALLis.  2 days ago I started in the field and the swather cut
> great, and traveled about 7 mph cutting 3-4 ft tall Johnson Grass,
> clover and prairie grass mixed.  Great!!  Got to the end of a 3/8 mile
> run and turned around to go back.  After about 250 ft, it began to run
> down like it was out of fuel.  I worked with it for about an hour in
> 105 deg heat.  It would run for about 45 seconds then just run down
> until it died.  I opened up the pump and tied the shut off solenoid
> with a wire to determine if that was the problem.  Same thing.  I made
> a call to a diesel shop where I know the owner, and he said the
> governor ring was shot.  He also said if I would take off the fitting
> in the tip cover and let some fuel spill I could get it back home.  I
> did, and got it home.

I dug out my parts and searched for the manuals.  I could not find
them.  I found a site on the internet where I could download the JD
repair manual for the pump for $9 for the next 24hrs.  I got it and
pulled the pump off and started working on the rebuild.  A lot of the
parts included in the seal kit were just like a carb kit, you don't use
all of them.  This morning I installed the pump and with a little work
on getting the air bled, it worked great!   If I had wanted to go back
together with the original type of governor ring, I would have only
needed the seal kit.  $14 + shipping and the $12 bit to take out the
timing screw.   As it turned out, I spent $85 on parts, and 5 hours on
the overhaul, and it Works!!    Injection pumps have been such a mystery
around here, there were never any books available and no parts.  It was
always $500 to get one thru a shop no matter what the problem was.  I
have a White 2-105 that has had the pump worked on 3 times because the
top cover will leak after about 3 years.  $450 each time.  The same $14
seal kit fits that pump........    Pump shops make those of us with the
old equipment pay for their new test stands for the new stuff.........
I had checked with the local pump shop here, and to rebuild this pump
would have cost a minimum of $450 + parts.

Just had to share this small victory.   I have wanted to be able to
repair my inj pumps for years, finally it happened.

Cecil in oKla